The Municipal Corporation of Vijayawada
The Municipality of Vijayawada (Bezawada)
was constituted on 1st April 1888 and was upgraded as a selection grade municpality
in the year 1960. The municipality was upgraded to a corporation in 1981. With the
merger of Gunadala, Patamata and Bhavanipuram village panchayats and two villages
payakapuram and Kundavari kandrika in the corporation in 1985. The total area of the
corporation is 61.88 sq.kms.
The city is divided into 59 political wards. An elected body headed by the Mayor performs
the Administration of the Corporation. The Commissioner acts as the executive head, and
oversees the day to day functioning of the local body. The staff strength of the corporation
is just over 5000.
VMC has been innovating various options by adopting
latest technology and other means to provide best-in-class
civic facilities and infrastructure to the people of Vijayawada.
It is our endeavour to improve the quality of civic services
and efficiency of its delivery through path-breaking reforms,
innovative strategies, exploring the latest technologies and
above all active public participation.